– Any winter greens you have – Collards, Kale, Escarole, etc.. .Any, or preferably all.
– Garlic, minced
– 1 large lemon
– good salt and pepper
– 4 to 8 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Wash and separate the greens from their stems. Break into the size you like to eat and place in a bowl. Add 1/2 the oil on top for about 15 minutes.
2. When you are about ready to serve dinner, heat the remaining oil on med. high to high in a good saute or cast iron pan. Add the garlic and flash sear for under a minute (don’t let the garlic brown).
3. Begin to add the greens by their thickness Collards first, because they are the heartiest, then the kale, then the rest. Saute each batch for just a bit. You want to wilt them slightly.
4. When you are almost done, add squeeze of lemon (optional) [ginger and a touch of soy is nice too], salt and pepper and cook for about 30 more seconds. Don’t over cook, remember they greens will continue to cook once the heat is off. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.
Yield: approximately 2 per head of greens
Time: 15 minutes